Cornbake 8 Layer Dip
by Christina Tosi
Ingredients + Recipe for Cornbake
1 cup cornmeal
1-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
¼ cup honey
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1-½ cup sour cream
one 14 ounces can creamed corn
1 cup fresh corn (or frozen or canned corn)
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons shortening
½ cup butter, melted
Heat the oven to 400F.
- Stir all of the dry ingredients into a bowl together until homogenous. Combine wet ingredients and stir in until homogenous.
- Grease a skillet or baking pan (approx 9 x 13”). Fill with batter and bake at 400F for 30-45mins, until golden brown. Leave in dish to build on top of.
Ingredients + Recipe for Taco Beef
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds ground beef
2 tablespoons chili powder
1-½ tablespoons ground cumin
1-½ teaspoons paprika
1-½ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1-½ teaspoons kosher salt
¾ teaspoon garlic powder
¾ teaspoon onion powder
¾ teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- To make the taco beef, heat the oil in a large saucepan or skillet over medium-high, then add the beef and cook, stirring to break it up, until it is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and keep cooking, stirring, until all the liquid evaporates and the beef is lightly browned, about 5 minutes more. Take the pan off the heat and let the beef cool completely.
Ingredients + Recipe for Dip
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 (15-ounce) cans refried pinto beans
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 (16-ounce) containers sour cream
4 ripe avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
Freshly squeezed juice of 2 limes
8 vine-ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
½ head iceberg lettuce, cored and shredded (about 4 cups)
1-½ cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (or equal parts cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese)
- To make the dip, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the beans and cook, stirring, until smooth and spreadable, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, remove from the heat, and let cool completely.
- Add the beans to the cornbake inside the 9 by 13-inch baking dish and spread to form an even layer.
- Top with the sour cream in an even layer, then the beef in an even layer.
- Mash the avocados and lime juice together in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, then spread this evenly over the beef. Top with the tomatoes in an even layer, then the lettuce and the cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the dip is thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Cut to serve.