Deep Dish Pizza
I love deep-dish pizza. This is a great alternative to takeout and takes half the time. Sub store-bought marinara sauce when in a pinch. Your family is going to go nuts for this.
Uses Pyrex® 7”x11” Deep Baking Dish
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 lb. pizza dough
Marinara sauce, see recipe below or use 28 oz. of your favorite store bought sauce
2 lb. spicy sausage, cooked
1-½ lb. mozzarella, torn or cubed
¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
½ lb. thinly sliced pepperoni
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 onion, roughly chopped
One 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 carrots, peeled and halved
1 Parmesan cheese rind
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
Deep Dish Pizza Directions
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Rub olive oil on the bottom and sides of your Pyrex® 7”x11” deeper baking dish. Place the dough in the dish and push up the sides of the dish.
- Workings in layers, add ½ cup of marinara sauce, or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Then add ¼ of the cooked sausage followed by mozzarella to cover. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and a single layer of pepperoni slices.
- Repeat the sequence 3 more times, allowing the last layer to be pepperoni. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Cool before serving. It will be hot!
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add garlic and toast slightly, about 1 minute.
- Add onion, tomatoes, carrots and cheese rind. Simmer over medium low heat for at least 30 minutes.
- Season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon sugar.